In Vino Veritas, Part XVIII: Tales of the Austrian Alps

In Vino Veritas, Part XVIII: Tales of the Austrian Alps

Confession: The vast majority of Austrian wines aren’t produced in the western, alpine portion of this landlocked nation. Nonetheless, I thought it would be good to start by planting the image of the snowy Austrian Alps in your mind, as it is one of the most picturesque settings in the world — a refreshing January(…)




The Art of Diplomacy

The Art of Diplomacy

Ah yes, the art of diplomacy. Having been through several rounds of contract negotiations over the years, I’ve learned that what you hear is not necessarily what is meant by the comment. Quite often, what you believe to be an agreement is a stall, or worse, the exact opposite. Many are familiar with the notion(…)




Ten Steps to Building Successful Group Sales Promotions

Ten Steps to Building Successful Group Sales Promotions

Recently, I was asked to be a part of an online seminar conducted by a leading online group sales RFP provider. For the benefit of those who were not part of the 300 or so hotel sales professionals who attended that day, here is the gist of my presentation – a 10-step formula for making(…)




Gearing Your Engineering

Gearing Your Engineering

Engineering is one of the domains of “unsung heroes” amongst a hotel’s staff. They work behind the scenes — in the back rooms, in the basements, in dark corridors — to provide seamlessly pleasant experiences for guests as well as fellow employees. For many, the challenges faced by a property’s engineering team are so far(…)




Standing in Front of the Locomotive

Standing in Front of the Locomotive

Among my favorite television shows is “Moyers & Company,” which plays Sunday mornings on PBS. In a recent episode, Bill Moyers interviewed environmentalist, poet and farmer Wendell Berry. Thecomplete interview addresses some of the challenges involved with agri-business and environmental issues. One of the lines Mr. Berry identifies himself with is that of “standing in front(…)




Seven Habits of Highly Effective Hoteliers

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Hoteliers

There’s little doubt that you’ve read or at least heard of the famous business and self-help book entitled “The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People” by Stephen R. Covey. Fitting for the fresh start that the New Year grants us, it’s time for a little homage — adapting the title of this book and giving(…)




Third Spaces Enrich Guests’ Lives and Loyalty

Third Spaces Enrich Guests’ Lives and Loyalty

You’ve probably heard the term “third space,” and you’ve probably given it some thought. With all the recent shifts in consumer behavior, however, it’s important that you understand this concept in full and how you might use it to enhance a property’s atmosphere. To summarize, the third space describes a place where people congregate outside(…)




Thinking Little: Why Hotels Must Use Little Data

Thinking Little: Why Hotels Must Use Little Data

By now, we’re all familiar with the term ‘Big Data’ – the deluge of information afforded to us by modern computers and any consumer behavioral patterns therein derived. Big Data has barely been on the main stage for a decade now and already it’s had an omnipresent effect. Organizations across the board are measuring the(…)




Ignore the Verbal Channel

Ignore the Verbal Channel

If you’ve ever read a book on body language or perfecting your public speaking abilities, then you’ve probably come across the statistic touting that our verbal language skills only account for approximately 7% to 15% of all communications. The other 85% is comprised of: Vocal tonality (calm and slow, loud and forceful, terse and upset,(…)




Back to top